button

Monday, May 13, 2013

Six Week Boy

Mr. Cullen is 6 weeks today. His corrected age, however, is 38 weeks. It's been a tough last couple days. (Reflux we think--is there a quick bandaid for this ailing little boy?!) I want meds!! However, his neonatologist believes it is best to minimize feeding amounts and maximize how many times we feed instead of putting him on any medications. The medications will prevent his tum tum from doing what it's supposed to do and it takes longer for his body to "fix things" on it's own once the meds get taken away. The every two hour feeding seems to be working. (My mind, mood and eyeballs seem to think this idea is atrocious.)
It's great seeing him grow into this healthy little boy when he started out a few steps behind, but it's so hard to see him cry when things are hurting or scary to him. I just can't help but have tears run down my tired cheeks when he cries. Part of this is probably the 11 hours of sleep I've had in the last 4 days combined, but part of this is a feeling I've never felt before. I just can't help but care about and love him so much. He's growing and figuring things out on his own. Some of these things upset him TREMENDOUSLY. His belly is going through changes that shouldn't happen for another two weeks (babies start with zero bacteria in their gut and over a few weeks it starts doing what it's supposed to -- growing it's own, but he had to start this all early.) And the poor guy has shared he does *not* like over-the-head outfits right now. (Looks like a trip to Target is in order STAT for some zips and snaps.)
I'm so proud of the little man for sticking by two parents that are doing their best, but probably aren't the most preemie savvy at this point. One day he's this delicate little sleeping boy and the next he is head butting your face because he's hungry and doesn't care what we say!
Tyler by far out runs me in the parent race. I blame it on his good looks, calm mind and big hands :) Cullen will scream for 20 minutes with me walking, talking, rocking, switching shoulders, swaddling, singing, feeding, etc etc etc.  Tyler will scoop him up and ---------------- (this is silence, my friends.) It's amazing to see. He can also work in viper speed for changings and whip Cullen in and out of the carseat like it's nothing. I guess the one thing I've got on him is providing a delectable mealtime for Cullen. #speakingofgoodies...

gr
my first Mother's Day: I'll remember it forever.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work. This mama stuff is tough but so worth it as you said. Love the mothers day pics. Perfect, happy family.

    ReplyDelete