button

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

And We Left With Our Babe

I am an amazing little man!
 
This weekend we hosted a diaper kegger to get some friends together to have a sort of  "guy" celebration for Tyler. I myself have had many showers and there are still a few pending. I was very excited to hear Tyler wanted to do this. Basically, bring some diapers, get a cup for the keg! We got this idea from our friends Mark and Joslyn, and it was a hit! Coors light keg (which ran out) and some cases of beer later there was a lot of chatting going on! We had friends from in town and many from out of town. It was a great turn out. (Tyler and I are so fortunate to have such supportive people in our lives.) We incorporated cinco-de-mayo and had tacos and margaritas as well.

2000+ baby wipes!
I didn't bother counting the diapers!

By the end of the night, the remaining guests at our party ended up at the neighbor's annual cinco party until the wee hours of the morning. Their party started as a pool party, but ended as a garage party--it was so cold! It really was a great time!

The next morning brought a fantastic surprise. We went up to the hospital to feed Cullen only to find Dr. Wilson was writing up dismissal papers a day early! He passed carseat, hearing, heart rate and O2 tests with flying colors. The weekend really couldn't have been better.  (ummmm I'm actually taking him home to grow and teach and raise?!!) Bring on this challenge -- I have been waiting for WEEKS!




 
 The first night went well. Cullen woke up every 3 hours to eat just like he was supposed to do. I on the other hand woke up every time I heard a squeak from the little guy. He basically looked at me after a few times like he was saying "Relax and leave me alone!" I still slept in the recliner next to his bed!
I've learned so much in the NICU the past 5 weeks: Feeding, sleeping, burping, bathing, clothing, handling... The nurses gave so much of their time and heart to help Tyler and I understand from the beginning this would be a long, sometimes painful, sometimes joyful process. They listened to us gush, they listened to me cry, they offered advice, hugs and stories of their own. They supported our decisions and explained every procedure. They created a familiar routine and made it feel real for us.
All the ladies, nurses and Dr. Hawk and Dr. Tan (and one gent -- Dr. Wilson) deserve something more than we could ever give them. I guess starting with a "Happy Nurses Week" will have to do for the nurses. Of course I'll have to have goodies delivered as well. :)
I'm grateful for the schedule Cullen is used to. It's tolerable for Tyler and me and makes total sense. We feed 8 times a day (2 NeoSure, 6 from me.) We change him before every feeding and then some if needed. Change, Feed, Swaddle, Rock, Read, Sleep, DO AGAIN. And all this time, he grows and grows...



No comments:

Post a Comment