button

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Grocery n Grill

I have been trying something different with our grocery shopping the past few months, and it's proven WONDROUS!  I used to plan meals and then buy the groceries.  This always resulted in wasted food (veggies/fruit gone bad, unused sandwich stuff, breads and buns tossed...) and unused leftovers no matter how I planned. My method was switched to a 20/25/55 percentage buy. (20% of my allotted budget fruits n fresh veg, 25% meats, 55% other) With this method I simply buy what's on sale and we have SO many more options for meal creating. Our pantry and deep freeze is filling mega fast when it used to be BARE BONES at the end of the week. This also gives us a variety of stuff since the sales at super saver and hyvee are different every week. I finally feel like I've conquered a "mom task" by figuring this out! Unless it's a special occasion or something I can't cook (i.e. sushi) we really don't go out to eat at all anymore.  #budget #itsabouttimegina
We tried a little something new tonight for dinner. Put the veggies we had around from the week (got a 5lb sack of potatoes for $1.99! Love me some bargains) and a sweet onion in a little foil pouch with some butter pats and garlic.
Tossed on some husker chops (marinated with a mustard/Worcester sauce/brown sugar concoction) and flipped both items every 15 min on low heat for 45 min. It was a fantastic change up.

Happy Grandparents Day to the amazing,  supportive people that make every day special in one way or another.  ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment